Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link. What does that mean? It means if you click on the link and purchase the product, I earn a small commission on it. This costs you absolutely nothing unless you wish to purchase the product I have linked. Rest assured that I only promote products that I have used myself and that I can highly recommend.
Hey there! It’s me, Heidi.
How’s it going? I hope you’ve been kicking life in the pants this week, and just absolutely KILLING all of your goals. Seriously. I mean… when’s the last time you set a goal for yourself and actually accomplished it? I hope very recently! If not, what are you waiting for?! I say all of this because for the majority of my life, I have been following other people’s goals for me. Not anyone in particular, but just general “other people.” You know… all of the people you meet along the way who tell you that the right way to do things is high school, college, grad school, traditional job where dreams go to die. I know “those people” have very good intentions, and only want what’s best for me. However, I have recently learned that I don’t have to listen to “them,” and that there IS another way. What’s that way for me? BLOGGING.
Only in the past few years has blogging become something other than so and so’s online diary. Blogging has turned into the ability to for an individual to start an online business empire, and I want in. I want in for several reasons:
- I love to write. I think the written word is incredibly beautiful and inspiring. Not only do I want to soak up as much of the written word into my brain as possible, but I want to share the written word with as many people as possible.
- I have a LOT to say, and so do you. Think about it. We, as a human race, are constantly communicating with our friends, family, co-workers, and people in our immediate circle. And, while they love and support us and (hopefully) want to have a genuine interest in what we are passionate about, sometimes we just flat out have different passions than those people and it’s exhausting to try to keep them interested. But there’s literally a world of other people on the interwebs, and there’s a 100% chance that there’s a group of humans out there who DO want to hear what you have to say at all times.
- Traditional jobs aren’t for me. By traditional jobs, I mean a job where you get up in the morning at 7:30am (or earlier, God forbid), drive to your place of work, sit at a desk, work 8-5:30 (because let’s be real 9-5 no longer exists), someone else is your boss and decides when you get to take leave and how much you get paid. No, ma’am/sir. That is NOT for me. And since alternatives in this world exist, I’m going to take them.
- I want to have the TIME and resources to travel. Resources aren’t always a problem when it comes to travel, but finding the time to do so is. I want to travel, I want to travel smartly, I want to travel to places I’ve never been that are outside the good ole US of A, I want to travel with who I want to travel with, I want to travel when I want to travel, and I want to be able to work (if I so choose) from wherever I am in the world. Again… traditional jobs do not allow for this… blogging does.
- Shouldn’t I get paid for sharing what I’m passionate about? I know way too many people who are working for the sake of paying their bills, and that doesn’t fly with me. You wake up, go to work, go home, eat dinner, pay bills, sleep, wake up, repeat. #nope Not happening for this girl. Just like the red-headed mermaid princess under the sea… I want more! I want to do what I am passionate, talk about what I’m passionate about, and GET PAID for it.
- Writing is therapeutic. Is my blog a diary of what I’ve done, what I eat, who I have a crush on (yes, I AM still in 2nd grade), what I bought at Target, or that funny thing my cat did this morning? No. Does it share my passions, desires, and what I love most in my heart? Absolutely. When I find that I’m having a particularly bad day or need a little self-encouragement, I write. Of course, that’s not the only time that I write, but I do take those opportunities when I’m feeling blue to write. It makes me feel better. It makes me feel all the feels, and use them to put a little inspiration into the world. It lightens up my mood. It makes me feel productive. Also, chocolate does those things. And wine.
- I have a skill, and I want to turn it into a career. I’m not just talking about my writing skills. I also have nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills (anyone?). Seriously though, I feel like I have a business opportunity to share with the world – which will be revealed to you readers in time (hint….. go to travel.wanderingthespian.com and you’ll see) – and I thrive on using my skills to help people.
That is why I blog. I blog to better myself, to better those around me, and to live the life I dream of living.
I’m reading this book Born to Blog: Building Your Blog for Personal and Business Success One Post at a Time (Marketing/Sales/Advertising & Promotion) right now, and it is so inspirational. It actually is what prompted me to write this post in the first place. There’s a quote in the book that says, “Although we chastise ourselves for dreaming too much, it’s essential for business success… Dreaming is mandatory for seeing the world as it should be rather than how it is… A person who cannot dream will die. Bloggers who cannot dream wither away.” WHAT?! How amazing is that. I guess I always knew I was a dreamer, but I’ve only recently discovered that this is what makes me a good blogger. Not the amount of readers I have, not the amount of comments I get, or how many people share my posts. No. The fact that I am a dreamer makes me a good blogger, and it will make me an even better businesswoman.
DARE. TO. DREAM.
Dare to dream, my darlings. I am dreaming big right now, and I am more motivated ever to build my blog and business, and to live my best life.
Have you set a goal and followed it recently? If not, DO IT. It will be the best decision you’ve ever made.
Until next time,