Hey there! It’s me, Heidi.
The first Broadway Babes article I wrote was about Her Majesty, Patti LuPone, Queen of Broadway (and my heart). Today, I want to talk to someone who is not only one of the most amazing performers I’ve had the privilege to meet, but honestly someone I seriously look up to: Sutton Foster.
Sutton Lenore Foster was born on March 18 (some year that I wouldn’t dare reveal because my muse is eternally young). It was a darrrrrk and stormy night…
Just kidding! I’m not going to give you her whole history. You can look that up for yourself. But I WILL tell you why I love her so dearly!
I first learned about Sutton when Thoroughly Modern Millie showed up on my radar. The show had been closed for a while by that point, but once I discovered it I found one of my favorite shows with one of my favorite leading ladies (and one of my favorite leading men…. luh you Gav!). Sutton starred in show after show (The Drowsy Chaperone, Young Frankenstein, Shrek the Musical, Anything Goes, Violet) and then went on to star in two different television series (Bunheads and Younger). She performs concerts, has several albums, and even creates her own visual art which you can view/purchase here. By the way, it’s gorgeous and 100% a goal of mine to own an original. Sutton is EVERYWHERE, and I’m honestly still not convinced that there’s such a thing as too much of her. She’s just that cool. Is cool the right word? Ballin’. That’s the right word. She’s just that ballin’.
Here are some of the other reasons Sutton Foster is a baller:
1. Sutton is unapologetically herself. Seriously. She has this absolute confidence about her that allows her to get a little silly (ok a lot silly), and completely own it! (Cue picking nose with tongue) You go girl!
2. No explanation needed for that one…. amiright?
3. She is incredibly humble. Not that kind of fake humble where you dis yourself so people will keep complimenting you. The real, genuine kind of humble where you know what your talents are, and you are thankful for them. The kind of humble where you never assume you’re getting the role, but you instead work your butt off to give it all you got until you reach your goal.
4. She’s a badass NYC mom. I mean…. #goals.
5. She is one of the most awkward, quirky, amazing, profound, entertaining, passionate performers I have ever witnessed. And I saw her perform a VERY small, intimate concert. It wasn’t even a Broadway show! She owns the stage like no one else, but still has this youthful and goofy spark all the while.
All in all, Sutton Foster is not only an incredible triple threat of a performer, she’s an all around good person who values her family, is positive and cheeky, and knows that being yourself and staying humble will allow you to reach the danged stars!
I am so lucky to have had the chance to hear her gorgeous voice in person, and to snap a quick pic with her. Literally made my life!
Love you forever and ever and ever darling Sutton. Keep being a baller!
Until next time,